People I know

Friday, August 12, 2005

Jagad Guru Defined

Once a foreigner asked His Holiness Sri Narasimha Bharati Swamigal how he could claim to be a Jagadguru, World Teacher, when there were so many non-Hindu faiths in the world.

His Holiness replied: The word Jagadguru does not mean at all that I can claim any right as spiritual teacher over everybody in this vast world. It only means that, if anybody residing anywhere in the world earnestly seeks My spiritual guidance, I am bound to give it to him as far as it lies in My power.

A person may live in a distant country and yet be prepared to be guided by Me. Another may reside in the Mutt itself and be unwilling to abide by My advice. It is My duty to help the former and not the latter. To the former I am his Guru; to the latter I am not. The word therefore defines only My duty; it does not signify any right or jurisdiction over others who do not seek My guidance.

6 Comments:

  • By Blogger P B, at 11:35 AM  

  • good info pb..
    but another question, is jagadguru a pattam (though not implying rights)?

    By Blogger Maayaa, at 8:28 AM  

  • yes jagadguru is a title.

    By Blogger P B, at 9:47 AM  

  • Gynana Bhoomi-ku kootam vara maari therlai .. varamalar-a pottudu PB!

    -Vasu

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:53 PM  

  • Yenna Mr. Muthukumar,
    Yeppo adutha blog yezhutha poreenga..yenno thonnrantho adhaye yezhuthunga...makkal padikarangalo illayoithe mathiri niraya religous blogs yezhuthunga..

    "..YathecHasi tatha kuru.."
    - Anniyan

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:54 PM  

  • appadiye aaguga..sometimes I get nothing to write. Seekiram thirumbavum start panren.

    By Blogger P B, at 9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home