People I know

Monday, October 03, 2005

Ragged totally!

I created a sort of record in our first year BE final exam. There was a paper called electrical network analysis, in which I could answer for only 25/75 marks and came out of the exam hall in 40 mins (first yearlaye intha latchanam!). Even though I needed minimum of 33/75 marks to clear that paper (normal requirement was only 30, since I was “Hard working, Quite” student, the instructor took some points away from internals :=(, so 33 needed ). When situation was like this, I was surprisingly granted 34 in the external and was cleared. I thought may be because my friend Muthulakshmi, who was ahead of me in the roll number, (who always scored first rank) scored somehow 83/75, the examiner to tally the mark sheets, gave it to me. Anyways, now I knew in TCE it is difficult to get a CUP how much ever one tries. This pattern repeated next semester too.

I don’t know how I managed to score just pass mark semester after semester in one or more papers.

But I was a “Thillalangadi” when it comes to ragging and “ootals”. My “ootals” were atleast 10 times sharper than what it is now. When things were going so smooth, I reached third year and was advising juniors to study well and was helping junior girls in their lab experiments etc. one fine evening, one first year student came to my home and said “PB anna I came to get some exam tips from you, I think I am doing poorly in the exams, please help me”. I was so happy and started giving tips like how one needs to study atleast 25% of the syllabus, so that one can write for 25 marks, but with grace (?) marks how one can clear exams and stuff like that. He was very seriously listening. I doubted that attitude and asked him “Thambi, You look dangerous, what is your percentage?”, He said “Very less anna, don’t ask me”. I was happy now, and said “don’t worry, it is not unusual for bright students to score less, come on, tell me”. He said “86.73 anna, Bhavani scored 86.78 and she became class first, I came to you to get tips so that I can be class first next semester anna”.

Aaha, oru china paya ennayave ippidi ragging pannitane!. I t was so humiliating. I told him “Thambi, Nee nalla padikira, innum nalla padipa! Aana oru help pannu. Nee enkitta idea kettathavo naan kuduthathavo yaar kittaium sollatha. Naan sonna idea ellam chumma, fail aagira payaluku. Nee nalaiku vaa, unaku first rank vangarthu eppidinu solli tharen, sariya..Ippo poitu vaa, enaku thala suthuthu, konjam rest edukaren annen!”.

I think in this whole tamilnadu, why, in this whole world, probably that was the only case where a third year senior was totally ragged by a first year student. At least he was nice enough not to spread this news. Nalla kalam da sami. BTW, he did not come next day to get the tips! Intelligent Boy!

11 Comments:

  • ragged totally-nnu unmaya sollurappa sandhadi saakkula sindhu paadura paathiyaa.

    muthulakshmi-ya paaththu copy adichchEn appadeennu direct-aa solluda. yEn un valadhu kaiyya un thalai maRRum en thalai reNdayum suththi unnOda mookka thOdura?

    you thought you wrote (i.e. copied) only upto 25 marks in that exam. actually you would have done it for 40 marks. ivaru 25 marks-kku ezhudhinaaraam TCE-la 33 pOttaangaLaam.

    i am reminded of kaundamaNi senthil joke from udhaya geedham. after stealing items from kaundar's house senthil would be selling them in roadsite spread-shop with a board "price the item you want to buy". As kaundar correctly points out "vaangi irundhaa thanE adhOda vela theriyum".

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:07 PM  

  • Nee anga thaan thappu panra..exam la copy adikira kevalavathi kidaiyathu. Athuku paila ponalum kavala padatha veeran!

    By Blogger P B, at 3:11 PM  

  • Are you making fun of a serious problem like ragging?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:36 AM  

  • hello boss
    madurai TCE alumni-ya neenga ?! endha varusham ?!

    By Blogger யாத்ரீகன், at 7:37 AM  

  • anna pb anna... neenga nallavara kettavara ?? hehe

    By Blogger Zeppelin, at 10:46 AM  

  • konjam kooda ulagathil doubt illatha unmai irukuna athu naan nallavan engrathu mattum than..athaiye doubt panriye da!

    By Blogger P B, at 10:49 AM  

  • senthil naan 1995-99 ECE. nee?

    By Blogger P B, at 10:52 AM  

  • adra adra adra !!! suppppperrrrrrr!

    :))

    is this a corollary to the theorem "en kitta endha thappum illa.. " ???

    :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:28 PM  

  • dei pb,
    namma collegela pass panna alagaiellam public pannitiyae pa ! 'Network Analysis' mattuma ? Namma marksheeta paatha ella semesterlayum atleast oru paperla 'pottu utta' kadhai vetta velichamayudumae ..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:14 PM  

  • dei vijay,
    namma exam ezhuthina kathaigal inga sila circles la romba famous. innamun ninaichu nianichu sirichittu iruken..

    By Blogger P B, at 1:54 PM  

  • vanakam senior.. naanga chotta bacha's.. 99-03 CSE

    naanga ulla varumbothu thaan neenga jaga vaangi irupeenga-nu nenaikuaraen.. am i rite ?!

    unga set but cse dept seniors enga rendupaer irukaanga..

    namma makkaloda US Alumni chapter yaaru maintain panraanganu theriyuma ?!

    -
    செந்தில்/Senthil

    By Blogger யாத்ரீகன், at 11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home