People I know

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Power of Faith!

“Padmapada Acharya” was one of the four disciples of Sri Adi Shankara. An incident in his life demonstrates the power of faith. I thought I can share this little story with you all.

Once, when he was a young boy, he was called “Sanandana” and was instructed a “Manthra” on lord Narasimha by a sage and was told on recitation of that “Manthra” he can get the darshan of Lord Narasimha Swami. On the desire of seeing the lord, he entered into a cave in a forest and started chanting the “Manthra” repeatedly.

There came a hunter who felt pity for the young boy and advised him to go back home as it was dangerous to be alone in the forest. He asked the boy “what are you searching for in this forest?” The boy replied “I am searching for an animal”. The hunter replied “Which animal you want, I can catch any animal as I have been living in this forest for about 40 years.” The boy replied “No, you cannot catch the animal I am looking for. It has human body and lion head and it is very ferocious to catch and it is called Narahari”. Though the hunter was perplexed by the description of the animal, he believed in that young boys words and promised him “I have not seen such animal ever. But you being a Brahmin I believe you will speak only truth. So I will catch that animal by sunset, else I will die”. Sanandana was sure that hunter could not be successful in his effort.

The hunter went searching and his mind was totally obsessed about that “Human body and lion face” and had no other thought. He was shouting “Narahari, Narahari” all the time. The animal was elusive to him and it was about to sunset. To keep up the promise he decided to hang himself up with a rope. He was about to pull the noose, there appeared that “Animal”. His joy knew no bounds. He tied the “Animal” with the same noose and rushed to “Sanandana”.

He shouted from outside the cave “Oh Brahmin! Come and see the animal you are looking for. I have trapped it”. The boy came out and saw just the rope not the “Animal”. He told the same to the hunter. Hunter was perplexed and whacked the “Animal”, it set out a huge roar. Sanadana was awestruck and hugged the hunter and fell on his feet.

Then there came an “Ashariri”, “Oh Sanandana, when you search for me ceaselessly with a single pointed focus of reaching me, with all other thoughts removed from your mind, like this hunter did, you can get my darshan. Time is not yet ripe for you to reach me . However your devotion has enabled you to hear my voice. I promise you that I will come to your rescue whenever you call me. Now go back to your town and wait for your Guru. He will show you the path”. Sanandana prostrated in the direction of voice and followed the advise.

In later years, after he became padmapada acahraya and was serving his guru “Adi Shankara”, Once a “Kapaalika” tried to kill “Adi shankara” when he was in “Tapas” and padmapada on knowing this prayed to Lord Narasimha and the lord entered into padmapada and killed that “Kapaalika”. This was one of the remarkable incidents in the glorious life of Adi Shankara.

2 Comments:

  • I had a strange coincidence today by seeing this post. Actually I was reading about Padamapada Acharya , a disciple of Adi Sankara, who got that name from an incident that comes as follows : "One of the disciples of Sankara, Sanandhyaya, was drying the clothes of his Guru and suddenly Sri Sankara called him to the other bank of the river as he needed the clothes urgently. Sanandhyaya, little realising that he would drown, starts walking into the river. However, the Grace of his Guru resulted in a lotus materialising wherever he was keeping his foot. When asked as to how did he cross the river, he says that when his Guru calls, he is not to worry about anything. Sri Sankara named him as Padma Padar (lotus feet)." Source :kamakoti.org.

    A good post though.

    -Vasu

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:19 PM  

  • Guruve Charanam !!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home