People I know

Friday, June 02, 2006

Bhagawath geetha.

I am not so well versed in Bhagawat Geetha, yet my accidental forays into that sacred book never stopped to amaze me. Like everything else, BG can be understood from different point of views. Sometimes visualize arjuna representing a common man, disillusioned and threatened by enormity of task ahead of him and was stuck in ever present life situation where "Dharma" appears like "Adharma" and vice versa. Krishna represents the guiding god when approached with humility shows us the right path.
Reference http://www.bhagavad-gita.org/Gita/verse-02-07.html

On the other hand, we can think of arjuna as "manas", whose nature is to get confused and go astray, while krishna as "wisdom" whose nature is to instruct right thing. May be we can say kurushethra war represents our internal strife and illusions, while arjuna represents our conscience and krishna represents our “Bhuddhi” which is knower of the truth. When “manas” is totally controlled by “buddhi” we get right wisdom. In that way everything appears “within”, when I say everything, I meant “the problem”, “the solution”, “the seeker” and the “mentor” they are all with in us to be explored. I get this idea when he talks about waveriness of mind.

(Ref:http://www.bhagavad-gita.org/Gita/verse-06-29.html). By the way, Chapter six called as dhyana yoga talks about ways to control ones mind and to engage in dhyana.

Anyways, My most favourite shloka in BG is this one. I remember reading somewhere that Vivekanada swami when talking about this shloka has said “ Greatest sins commited by human beings are fear and weakness. Chanting of this shloka will help one get rid of those sins”. I cannot agree more with him can we?

5 Comments:

  • Your analogy of the "Manas" and "Buddhi" made good sense. "Transaction analysis" in human psychology, deals with understanding human behavior with the "Adult" modeal and the "Child" Model. I believe your analogy is of a similar kind.

    A good way to look at Bhagwad Gita.

    By Blogger dinesh, at 1:40 PM  

  • ennatha solla..enna ennavo pesareenga!!

    By Blogger Maayaa, at 10:17 PM  

  • PB,
    I concur with Dinesh. Nice post.

    Vasu

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:24 AM  

  • pb
    you have been tagged!!

    By Blogger Maayaa, at 7:08 PM  

  • PB,
    I came across such a practical way of applying Baghavad Gita by Eknath Eswaran's translations/commentry of Baghavad Gita..rhomba naal munnadi first chapterllrnthu sila excerpts paarthen. Your insight is pretty close to what I think is meant by the author there. Good one!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home