People I know

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Paarthadhu Kettadhu Padithadhu...

Parthadhu:
I was watching the movie “Bharathi kannama” again. The story of Bharathi Kannama is on very sensitive topic of inter caste marriage between rioting castes and was handled delicately. Especially the movie was released when southern districts were rocked by caste related clashes and there was wide spread opposition for screening the movie. However the movie united the people and it was a great success in our part of the world.
The director had made a very original presentation with realistic dialogues. There was a balanced presentation of both sides of the problem and none was blamed. The characters represented were real people and the subject discussed was the need of the hour. I will not say this was a perfect movie in every sense, but it was one of the best movies made in kollywood. However I guess the people, who have lesser awareness about caste issues in our society, may not appreciate the movie as much I did. Being one from madurai, I was able to relate myself to the issues very well.

Kettadhu:
Once I was coming from “Azhagarkoil” in a LSS town bus. LSS buses are rated as high speed buses and they stop at lesser number of points so it reaches destination faster. The tickets are charged higher than normal busses. I happened to listen to a dialogue between an old lady and the conductor.

Paati: “yeppa oru modern lodgu kudu?”
Conductor: “Modern lodge nikkadhu paati..simmakal irankigka”
Paati: “Simmakale kudu” (hands Rs. 1.50 )
Conductor: “innum nalana kudu pati, idhu LSS”
Paati: “Ennale bussu vidura, naan ketta stoplaium nippata maatenga, kaasu vera kooda kekkuriya? Inganave bussa nippatu, naan irangi kidurein”

Struck by the logic
Conductor: “Aatha onnaar ruvaiku unnai modern lodge la iraki vitturen..aala vidu thayee”

(For non-tamil world wide readers (!!!!), sorry I cannot translate this piece)

Padithadhu
I read somewhere, one Sanskrit Poet says to lord Shiva

“I have never uttered your name in my previous births and I will not utter your name in any of my births in future”

The meaning is “uttering your name releases one from birth-death cycle. My very birth shows I have not uttered it before and since I utter it now, I will not have any birth in future to utter”. I don’t remember the poet, probably Barthruhari.

15 Comments:

  • Didn't get the meaning of the last para. Can I too claim that I will not utter Lord Shiva's name in my future janmas because I'm uttering 'Shiva' in this janma?

    -KP.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:21 PM  

  • @KP,
    If u still get a next janma..u did not utter it in ur previous janma...the message is kinda hidden..utter is not ur lips uttering, u have to utter with shiva as only object you care for.

    By Blogger P B, at 2:26 PM  

  • So, is it possible for me to attain moksha in this janma "without becoming an ascetic" and praying God always? I still can't believe what's said in my horoscope, if at all it is true. (I hope u remember our previous discussion.)

    -KP.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:36 PM  

  • @KP
    If I know how to attain moksha..definetly I wont be writting blog. Just I liked the logic in the poem. Thats all.

    By Blogger P B, at 2:46 PM  

  • 'padithadhu' enakku pudichirukku...

    By Blogger Maayaa, at 10:27 PM  

  • Enna PB,

    Entha semaiyam Anju thaana kedachathu?..

    Theatre-a ezhuthu muda vendiyathu pola erukku ! ;)
    ~VAsu

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:24 PM  

  • @vasu
    nee poi sollonum da oorla..annan oru nallavaru..oru nallavaru..appidinu sollonum da...

    By Blogger P B, at 1:55 PM  

  • "Yaar Yaar Sivam? Nee Naan Sivam.
    Vaazhve Thavam, Anbe Sivam!"

    Director Sir, Unga drama title nyabagam vandudhu... neenga padichu share pannadhu romba nalla irundhadhu:)

    By Blogger DR, at 7:56 PM  

  • @dr
    Thank u.

    By Blogger P B, at 9:36 PM  

  • PB,
    nice post. enjoyed reading it..:)

    By Blogger The Doodler, at 11:03 AM  

  • movies that reflect stark reality have always fared well & are always regarded as all-time hits.
    pb, nee kettadhu was really good.. kizhavi kalakkitta :)

    By Blogger Prabhu, at 11:31 AM  

  • @vasu
    padam late pick up pola iruku da..illa nee oorkulla vilambaram panniya?

    By Blogger P B, at 1:08 PM  

  • padam late pick up pola iruku da..

    PB,
    Athu onnumilla da, RS theatre-la pala anonymous-nga padam Ottraanga... atha paakka thaan elaa koottamum pOi irukku. Antha padam mudinja odanE namma padam thaanda makka ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:11 PM  

  • @satheesh
    namma padam odutho illaiyo..thalaivar padam odudhu..athuku mela enna venum

    By Blogger P B, at 4:16 PM  

  • Satees @ ROFL

    ~VAsu

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home